Friday, March 16, 2012

What is thou in a name?

Right before the "bricks" hit
Ever wonder why things are called what they are? I think of silly things like this all the time. This morning, while swimming my 500 meter time trial (13:38), i made up my grocery list in my head, thought about eating a fat cheesburger once (FINE!!..twice), and thought about how i would feel when i'm finally in the locker room, taking a hot shower.

What is thou in a name:

Tabata running workout: It's named after Izumi Tabata in Japan. He conducted tests on two groups of athletes; comparing moderate versus high intesity.

Guess who won? The short spurts of high intesity training gave by far more benifits than longer moderate training. Hence why CrossFit kicks your butt and you see faster results. For example, my workouts this whole week have been under 20 minutes and I feel in better shape than when I was running 30 miles a week. I like Izumi.. he was a smart guy and he helps me spend more time with my family. GO JAPAN!

Bricking workout: Bricking is combining 2 activities in a single workout. The bike to run is the hardest transtition for triathletes, as I found out this weekend. I ran 1 mile (8:07) then ran through the house like a mad woman (my daughter's playdate just gawked at me with an open mouth), changed shoes and rode on the bike trainer for 8 minutes. Hopped off and ran another mile (7:31).

Ooh, that hurt!! The second mile i looked down and i could not feel my legs -no joke. They felt like "bricks"; hence bricking. BRICKS ARE HEAVY!

LSD: Couldn't you just picture a runner asking another runner if they got their LSD in this week? Hilarious! LSD is an abbreviation for "Long, Slow Distance, which refers to the practice of runniing longer distances at an "easy" pace rather than shorter ones to exhaustion. It allows the runner to go longer and, therefore, gain more fitness (i don't know about that last part?!?!) JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS?

Any other names you find odd?








No comments:

Post a Comment