Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Soldier Hollow to Deer Creek Dam

Deer Creek Reservoir
Since i've returned from Denmark i have been under a pile of stress. I took a new position as an Early Childhood Director, but i couldn't let go of my current job as a Pre-K teacher, so i kept that one as well. In this economy i feel very blessed to have 2 jobs. Two wonderful jobs at that! But it's so stinkin' stressful. 

Even though i have been stressed out, I've been keeping up my CrossFit 3 times a week and getting in a few medium runs here and there, but nothing too impressive. Lately i've been feeling very winded and sluggish.

Saturday i went on my club run to Soldier Hollow and then on around Deer Creek to the dam. A gorgeous 9 mile run following the Heber Valley Railroad tracks. About 3 miles into the run i could not breath. My lungs stung, my heartfelt heavy, and my breathing was not normal. I couldn't even speak to my fellow runner. All in all, i felt like i was dying.

I hit the dam at mile 9 and called it a day. Everyone else complained of sluggishness too and chalked it up as "elevation problems". Then it hit me -oh my gosh it's the elevation!! I went home, did some research and found out Denmark has an elevation of 103ft and Soldier Hollow has a wopping 5,477ft!!!! No wonder i thought i was going to die.

Has anyone else had elevation issues at some point?? How long does it take to get back to normal?

No comments:

Post a Comment