Thursday, March 10, 2011

And the Oscar goes to....



I thought, if i'm going to do this running thing, then i might as well do it right.

About 5 weeks ago, when i started having knee pain, i shmoozed around the knee support tape. The woman at the running store asked if she could answer any questions about running tape or injury. She recommended a form class to understand more about how i could run better and pevent injury. 5 bucks! Sure i'll take it.

Yesterday was the big day. Absolutely a must for all runners. I learned the 4 golden techniques of running: Balanced Forward Posture, Compact Arm Swing, Proper Foot Strike, and 180 Cadence. Genius!!

I got my 8 miles in, took a quick shower, then headed over to Brigham Young University, where we met at the Smith Fielding House, an indoor track. Our instructors, Hawk, and his son, Golden (love the names!) started out with a quick bio of themselves. Hawk won the St. George Marathon in 84' with an impressive time of 2:22. Holy smokes, i was in the presence of glory. His son broke a world best at age 12.

They started us out running a few laps with our shoes on, then shoes off. All the while filming us. We went more into depth about the 4 basics and then headed back to the store for the dreaded dissection.

Oh, dear. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. The first dessection was brutally honest. "Check mark, arms are everywhere." The second, "Leaning to much forward, check mark, and not enough arm movement." By the time he got to me, my heart was racing and i thought, what will i look like on tape... what will my thighs look like on tape? Then i had this thought.. who cares. You are here to learn how to be a better runner. If this is uncomfortable for a milli-second but i learn to run better and injury free, then bring it on!

I looked great! I don't like to toot my own horn, but i looked pretty darn good. He starts out by saying, "This is the best form we've seen yet. Maybe lean a little bit more into your run, but pretty good."

I felt like i just won the Oscars! I'd like to thank my parents for giving me these amazing genes, then to my husband for always fixing dinner while i run, and to my ....
well, you get the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment