Saturday, March 5, 2011

The science of running: 30/70

This is starting out to be a pretty good day.

I started my morning bright and early at 7am. Don't you just love gettting up before anyone else. I usually peak out my back window and look at the snow covered mountians, take a deep breath and say, "this is going to be a great day!"

I fixed homemade banana chocolate chip muffins, eggs, bacon and fresh sliced melon. We only have 2 more days with our danish guests, so i thought it might be nice if we had one relaxing breakfast together. Usually we are rushing out the door with a bowl of cereal or a cup of coffee.

At 10:30 i headed out for my 15 mile run. Even though i did not get my 7 mile in this week, i still felt confident that it could be done. I gave myself a goal of 2 hours and 15 minutes (9 minute mile). Let's just say i completed the 15 miles. Period. My timing was a little off, but i completed it. Isn't that the important thing?

After running 15 miles today, i am convinced that running is 30% physical and 70% mental. Those last 5 miles were a killer.

Now... putting my feet up for some well deserved rest.

My own calcutta today was: Running my longest run EVER!!! It won't be the last.

3 comments:

  1. I think running is 90 % mental...except when you are injured. Then it feels 100% physical, but that you are going to be insane if you can't run. :)

    Great work on the 15 miles- speed not important.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small Town Runner is right. The longer you have been running, the more it becomes mental. And 15 miles is awesome, no matter how long it takes. You are my inspiration these days!

    ReplyDelete